Thursday 17 August 2017

My wee dug's last resting (rising) place

With apologies to Jill Bryson who recently tweeted her 19 year old cat's picture, I sit in Summerhall reminded of less good times in The 80's when Alex, ma wee dug, stopped biting my sister's pals and flew up the chimney of the Dick Vet. A wee westie by nature, Alex was stoic to the end. In an era defined by religion Alex was a dug, brought up to bite protestants but Catholics, muslims, Hindus, Jews, Sikhs and particularly Jehovas witnesses. He loved white and black westies, especially those with oil streaks from crawling under cars. While my mum may have vascular dementia, Alzheimer's or whatever even she smiles when I talk about her 'setting' Alex on Jehova's best. Whilst I sit here reminiscing on those days In The early 80's I'm still liking the way Thick Skin at the painesplough Roundabout was received last Saturday. It was superb to witness, a bit like a number of early gigs I was at, there's a smugness as you leave saying I was there. I remember the Clash at La Sorbonne or Aztec Camera in Dundee. 168 in the painesplough Roundabout is a full house and what a venue. When the Beatles played Shey Stadium you were reminded by TV of how vulnerable they were in the centre of the action. I watched the 4 on stage last Saturday and thought - yeah - I'm glad it's a standing ovation - if it was a glassin' you'd be captured! I'm not wanting to put pressure on any of the performers over the next few days but work hard, concentrate, remember your lines and you won't follow the same destiny as Alex!

No comments:

Post a Comment