Thursday 3 November 2016

The Creationists - "Should we be sectioned?"

With all the mental health issues to the fore these days I'd forgotten this one off 'non hit' but it does still make me chuckle. It was funny back in the early 80's but nowadays there's almost an Orwellian comedic theme kicking in. The mantra was hysterical and the crowd always made some noise.

"Adam & Eve, keep it up yer sleeve
Adam & Eve, keep it up yer sleeve"

You can hear the Jimmy Pursey sound alike thinking he's found his way out of Sham 69 on a day trip to the garden of Eden.

"how long does it take?
To bake a cake
How long will it take,
To bake that snake"

It was a tour de force in C F & G and no snakes were ever harmed in any of the performances I saw. Nowt but a barrage of jangling crosses as the headbangers pogoed on the floor.

The song retreats into ever decreasing circles as the singer reminds you

Dinosaurs they're all lies, touted by Scientific spies
I'm telling you now its all a fucking mess
There's never been a monster....in loch ness

I remember seeing them play in Kingussie and the locals clearly knew the words as they battered out every line.

The middle eight was as pious as it comes falling to knees and in altar boy falsetto our singer gently pummels

"Forgive me father for I have sinned
Absolve me so I can do it again
I murdered them as they collected the flower
I let them all know who had the power

Forgive me father, I've done it again
Father tthat I have praised
I've murdered more people in your name
I need my overdraft limit raised"

As the lights dropped, the halo disappeared and another rousing chorus we get to the abrupt 2 minutes 52 second ending

"Against society, we must've sinned, cos here come the white coats...... we've been.... sectioned."

Brilliant, I cant remember any of the other songs but I'm now going into the dark cupboards where all the Deadbeat tapes lurk and see if I can find them. 30 years on its hard to believe that far from dying the creationists are popping up everywhere. That's really bizarre!

No comments:

Post a Comment