Sunday 26 June 2016

The Wedding Present new album

Not so much a review just a heads up. A reminder for me as well as you. I first encountered The Wedding Present about the same time as Biff Bang Pow and other Creation records started coming through the door. That's not to say they were on Creation, its just in my head it would be 1984-1985, or over 30 years ago. I like doing this memory nonsense out loud as it helps with my early onset dementia when I write it down. Back to the Wedding Present though and I'm thinking they were one of the best bands I never got to see, I'm guessing because they were from across the EU border in England. The good news for me is I'm going to get that chance this year as they are touring and I might even manage it when I'm down in London to see "Harry" the play at the Kings Head in Islington on July 26th. Harry is a play and not from 1985 so its new and fresh, but I do like the whole nostalgia thing and as its rife in London I'll get pad and paper out to roll back the clock. Tick tock.

Around the same time were another great band from down south that I never got to see, The June Brides. The list was quite a long list. I just had a quick look at the covers to see what issues covered the period and the June Brides were in issue 26, the relations from Perth I did manage to see, as I did Crucial Xylophones from Dundee, Rhythm System from Glasgow, although I dont think I ever got to see The Men Men. Drink frequently got in the way and if it wasn't drink it was a doorman or a doorway, in fact kerbs used to stop me in my track quite often too.

No comments:

Post a Comment