Monday 7 August 2017

When I was 19

It's so easy to say 35 years on, but why didn't KB and I wait until photocopies got this good.

By issue 33 we had the measure- every week technology brought another treasure and digital imagery was moving fast.

The internet was born not long after and KB and I just presumed the printed media space would get too crowded for a fanzine.

How wrong we were as today the Metro aspires to free recyclable news. Treating news the way it was meant. Tomorrow's chip wrappers. So many people populating that world of journalism spotted this and decided during the 90's to fight back and make news the news, not report or analyse it, be the news - hold the front page - I'm here!

Did James Naughtie leave the today programme because it was about the cult of personality and no longer about the news - I don't know - ask him! - but I stopped listening. Nowadays they have an editor who seems to report on people's favourite colour. Jackie tells me this and I don't believe her but KB says it's true.

Why didn't we wait until the photocopiers were this good! ?

I guess if you wait too long you'll be too old. I'm no conspiracy theory but I'm glad we didn't wait as technology is taking over the world in our decision making and as you count the steps you've taken today you can ponder this. The control and access of Apps is run by a small number of people, sometimes being a wee wino makes sense. The drug cartels have an interest in developing their markets just as much as Coca Cola - will the olympics or super bowl turn them down on the next 35 years?

Let's face it, it's 5 to 9 on a sunny Monday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment