Wednesday 21 August 2024

Since Yesterday - what a film premiere 5 stars for sure

I felt so lucky when I got the tickets today
 I'd tried online but it was saying sold out so I thought, just turn up at the Cameo and see what's what. Just like my luck with the cancer heroes at the Western the desk was staffed by someone who wanted to find a couple of tickets. I am in awe of how many good people I'm bumping into at the moment.

I found this copy of "courage" by sophisticated boom boom which I hope I've copied. Loaded in 2010 by someone called Tivert, 2281 views  and liked by 18 now. Such a lovely and effortlessly powerful song.

https://youtu.be/-MDg-38ErSA?si=TDxYkN7tK6s8Q78a

A superb film for soany tearjerking and laughter ridden reasons. "When we were asked for the merch money, ah just said we spent it" so good and full of memories from 40 years ago for me. I remember asking the outstanding Rutkowski sisters if Sunset Gun wanted to put tracks on the compilation demo we put out. They soon became too big for Deadbeat but were fantastic friends to us, like Strawberry Switchblade doing interviews etc.

I think the cafe in sauchiehall street was called nardini but I'd be lying to say I knew. I remember missing the last bus and someone putting me up tootie fruitie style although I did leave in the morning.

( there's a link to the sunset Gun tracks on deadbeat tape page)

The film is such a great celebration of many of the girl bands of Scotland. It's a story that's never been told. How difficult it was when a band member got pregnant/aka dumped from the band. When a male singer got a heroin addiction requiring rehab the tour got cancelled, these women lost their job and their pals.

It was so fantastic to see so much of what I missed once life got in the way for me. A special treat was seeing the fanzines of the 90's and the label,  Vesuvius, being celebrated for their selfless promotion of the bands and lots of rabbit holes I'll now want to dive down.

The bands all spoke brilliantly of their experiences and it can't have been an easy job editing it down so I look forward to another 58 hours from the cutting room floor.

Superb 

It  was truly a magnificent piece of work highlighting all the great bands.

Thank you Carla and Blair for the Q & A after your message was heard and playlists are being built.
We don't get out much but Jackie and I had a superb time, she even let me wear my new t-shirt. We got the emotional rollercoaster you promised, laughter, tears and merch, the film has everything and good luck for the cinema release in October.

It should be a must for all schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment