Wednesday 18 September 2024

The lights are on, but nobody's in - I failed the fluids - bloods don't lie

Yes, problem solved, nothing more complex than dehydration. You think you drink 10 pints of fluid but if half is tea then as the stone roses would sing, it's fools gold. I'm always leaving the lights on but rarely paying attention to where the light is shed.
Again, I've had those on the Camino as recently as Simon Stu and I in Templarios de Teradillos del Camino. One of my favourite albergues and we got alcoholic food poisoning. The absolute curse of the drunk.

It was a short 17km walk from Amanecer de Campos just outside Fromista, to Carrion des los Condes, then a wee bus. Fromista being famous for the canal and the fantastic train stop on the way from Santander to Madrid. It's also a short bus across the meseta to Burgos. It's one of the quietest parts of the Camino Frances as many people bus from Burgos to Leon. It makes for great friendships as well as some wonderful morning and evening skylines.

That afternoon, however, we got a wee bit carried away. We were out early and arrived at Carrion in plenty time for the 11.30 bus. We arrived even earlier to get a 3 bed ensuite room at the albergue. What could possibly go wrong once the washing was on. 4 pints before lunch and a bottle of red with the 2.45pm dinner. Siesta was called for but nobody heeded the call.
Simon drank a bit less but his best move was having what we had had for lunch, when we had dinner. We had what he had had for lunch. What followed at 10pm was a monstrous word association of head pillow toilet. I was first to go and last to stop. I basically was up every 10-12 mins as it was endless. Stu started his synchronization about 11 and we were dove tailing as best we could until 8.Simon slept through some and listened to the rest. Albergue ensuites are usually very compact and reaching the sink from the toilet is a master stroke. 

Next day I tried to book another night but had to settle for a taxi to Sahagun and a sleep on the bench at the railway station. I was bad. When I look back now I'm reminded that I wasn't that bad on Sunday past. I think we just need balance and to check if the lights are on.

That time we arrived in Leon after Sahagun and I slept in the flat for 20 hours. Next day I was still moaning loudly and was going to get the bus to Ponferrade on my own but we decided to stop at Astorga. 

It was there that I remembered the blue juice. Powerade has been my friend on the Camino on many occasions and today I bought 2 bottles. I've just had 5 pints of water with a splash of the stuff.

Unbelievable how I keep forgetting solutions to my carcass, but the lights are on now. I'm always encouraging people to drink water, not carry it, and if you aren't seeing clear urine, you need to keep hydrating. Hmmm, it's advice I've ignored for the last fortnight.

I felt like I'd reached Estella. It's normally day 5 but Rich and I arrived here after coming down from Bilbao. We had a last night in Vitoria Gasteiz with Stu and then carried on to Estella for 3 nights. We were able to do the stretch from puente la Reina to Logrono, culminating in the fast bus up to San Sebastian.

One of my favourites on the bus timetable, there is now a fast bus from San Sebastian to the Camino stopping at day 4, Puente, day 5, Estella, and Logroño day 7. 

With lunchtime Edinburgh flights to Biarritz it makes fast track tapas a thing. Logroño and Calle Laurel is tapas central. So many options so much fun. I had fajitas last night for tea to try and bulk up and get over the sore throat thing. It sorted of worked but I could do with a wee trip south.

So today it's Wednesday and I've had the 2k shot plus water and now I'm relaxing with my teeth in their mouth guard soaking up the flourine toothpaste. At 12, I'll venture out into the heat for a stroll and get down to the western for 2:15.

Today feels like #8 of 30. That's pretty special.

I look forward to saying day #420


No comments:

Post a Comment