Tuesday 30 June 2020

1980's sewing bee

I laughed recently when watching this program and their categorization of the eighties

The it is what a time of success and excess big collars big shoulder blades and power dressing

The deregulation of the city and the opening up of lap dancing clubs was unanimous to many. It's hard to see why someone like Margaret Thatcher should go to war with galtieri and Sxargill while lying down to the city.

This deregulation was a one-way bet tantamount to agreeing to Sxargill and keeping all the uneconomic pits open and yet that is what happened. Deregulation highlights the type of class mistake that just government made.

It was abundantly clear when later selling off the family silver AKA the council houses and our nationalised industries, in the privatisations, that city advisors on privatisations had clearly not been regulated They had been given a license to print even more money their advice was to sell cheap and they would take 3% for the privilege, deregulation to me should have meant lower charges, and brokers advising to maximise the return, not a gravy train.

The period of stagging shares, applying and then immediately selling, created a short term bubble of activity and greed. There was no boom, but a hand out with a caveat the caveat being that you needed capital in order to get this handout it's a very strange concept but nonetheless if you had £10,000, you could roll it over every couple of months on the latest new privatisation. The miners in the meantime along with most of manufacturing industry were to rely on different handouts, smaller ones.

I laughed when I watched the Great British sewing bee as I remember going to Charity shops and buying clothes that I would sew.  I once got a fantastic bargain two old pairs of police trousers complete with a slot for a baton. They were clearly for someone taller than me but I took in the waist and both legs to make them much more like drain pipes. One pair I was very successful, but the other pair ended up looking like jodphurs. Jodphurs were of course quite fashionable so I could wear my drain pipes north of Watford and my jodphurs when I was in the affluent South.

Such great days but c'mon the great British sewing bee, fashion has always shown a true history of society.


No comments:

Post a Comment