Wednesday 3 June 2020

lockdown #37 - Athene - wisdom personified

I enjoy the Great London (British) sewing bee but its quite amazing how institutionalised it is in its interpretation of the 80's.

For them its all about power jacket and shoulder pads and yet as they play "Blue Monday" and I'm thinking of Relax, the TUBE, I'm seeing a different society.

I'm watching Brookside, they're talking Bros "when will I be famous", and I'm thinking Patrik Fitzgerald sang "When I get Famous" in 78...

Its the thing about decades, they always talk about the 60's citing 1967-69, the 70's is punk rock 77-79, 80's is all about 87 onwards....whereas the alphabet bias heads towards Baldwin, Blair, Brown, Callaghan, Cameron, Chamberlain, Churchill, the decades slide to the dross at the end like Thatcher, Trump.....

OK, I know that the London centric show thinks it was all about Big Bang and the financial markets excess, but it wasn't if you headed further north. It was about excess poverty for those mining communities, they needed their sewing machines to make sure they could make clothes to wear, think the Proclaimers, remember almost every mill and factory producing clothes in the UK was closed.....please will someone remind me this is just a TV show....

Vinny, its just a bit of froth and bubble, dont lose the plot at least the lassies got to wear suits that made them look like linebackers. The idea that women got a level playing field from showing they had power shoulders tells us yet again we'd forgotten to educate those testosterone charged men just to listen to someone wiser....its always about a battlefield, about war not wisdom....I come from the Athens of the North, we know, Athene was wise, she was Minerva in Roman times but still a lot wiser than any man....C'mon everybody get with the programme...


No comments:

Post a Comment