Tuesday 16 June 2020

On this day June 18th

Yes in 1974 Fat Al records that we drew with Brazil and kids in the other 6tg grade class (at Darnestown elementary school, MD) had let off the fire alarm. I'll bet the teachers were mad missing out on their annual "no fire alarm" bonus.

In 1979 I got a job on £1 an hour in the print room. £40 a week had me salivating and the fruit machine in the Queen's Arms was rocking while I got rolled.

By 1980 I was warming up for my driving test with a trip to Asda (other supermarkets did exist but we went to the one on Milton road). Golfers will note I had a 73 with 2 penalty shots, clearly I wouldn't let it lie, surely a 71 was only days away....

By 1983 it was time to put the finishing touches to issue 15. AKA start writing it. #13 had sold out and #14 was not selling as well. It seemed a bit harsh as it was one of our best covers. I blamed the election in May. It certainly done for my uni exams. I was famously tied to a tree in 1983 on that election night. To be fair, vanity b fair, I was tied up in late afternoon as I was in an alcoholic with complimentary amnesia induced coma.

By 1984 we were working on #26, collecting the cash for #25 and lamenting still, Thatcher's brutal destruction, no not dead neighbours, although they did appear!

How simple it had been 10 years earlier when the only escape I planned was from Washington DC. A place where after 2 years teaching my teacher how to play chess and my classmates that there were actually a large number of different countries in the world.....I had two years in their education system and if I sound bitter it's because my football career was ruined there, I missed my favourite aunties and my bottom lip kept trembling, a sure sign I've let it go, ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment