Wednesday 11 November 2020

Is it the glue or the stickiness

As you get into your 50s you wonder what the glue was that kept friendships together then as you head into your 60s you wonder why glue has been replaced by stickiness when it comes to websites.

This isn't a jargon busting exercise but it does make me chuckle. 

It's like perceived truth that makes me chuckle too.

Back in the days of Deadbeat many of the interviews followed a very similar pattern as bands largely wanted control, artistic control, over their destiny. Never for a second did they realise that they were dealing with a music industry where their's was a fleeting moment, while the company execs were in another game, a long career game.

Many bands got single out or an album some got distribution deals but most of them enjoyed the journey. Manny still play today in between shifts working in banks bars or care homes. Some are even residents in the care homes. That's rock and roll with 2020 hindsight.

I chat with my dad regularly about the bands of the era and when I tell him their names he's no idea. When we discuss glue He talks about the many friends that he still has at 88 and how the glue that kept them friends was a hobby, a person, a situation, a reunion.....There was always a glue. The bond that kept them together. 

I remember laughing in 2000 when we were discussing stickiness on the website. For all technology moved us forward to see the word glue replace by stickiness always had me doubled up. So we've gone from one some syllable to three syllables and a word that conjures up some mental image best forgotten.

My 37-year-old self would say technology I'm clearly too old for it, while rolling about laughing at some 27 year old techie. I'm sure nowadays it would just be an emoji of a horse in a compromised position, so that you could either think glue or stickiness

No comments:

Post a Comment