Friday 9 December 2016

Camino de Santiago de Compostela

'I will walk 500 miles' was my mantra the first time I huffed and puffed my way over the Pyrenees on my way to the Atlantic coast and the world's end at Finisterre not to be confused with the one in the High Street in Edinburgh.

Nowadays I think the it's the best pub crawl in Europe and it doubles as a diet plan. For the architects or religious among you there are some old churches and castles that pre-date me never mind deadbeat. I remember one at Villacazar de sirca on the road to Carrion de Los condes that had all its bishops list from pre 1066, I love it when they ran out of goats blood and had to use gold then ran out of gold and used ink - or maybe they'd just discovered ink - the deadbeat of it day I thought as I looked at all the typos - no snowpake 1237AD eh Bishop Sumche!

This picture is taken just outside Castrojeriz. A brilliant stretch down to the Grand Canal at Fromista from where you can get the train back up to Santander and jump the £20 flight back to Edinburgh. As short caminos go 4 days walking from Burgos to Fromista is superb (fly Santander, bus Burgos) but this October will see us back on the 30 day version. My brother and sister sites 500m.wordpress.com and fatal-bananas.blogspot.com have all the words pictures and videos from past caminos.

On average your 3 course meal with a bottle of red is 10 euros with each additional bottle of red costing between 2-4 euros. There were 5 of us when we scoffed over 30 bottles @ Cafe Ligonde in Eirexe last year. It was our last night and Joseph was a very attentive host. We sat from 1pm until 3am and it was a proper session country wine. If you go to the blogs you'll see Leon is mentioned regularly. Free tapas with every drink, the choice bars, Jamon Jamon and Jose Gonzalez's La Trebeje. Jose signed my ball the year I kicked one to Santiago.

So smackheids go to Afghanistan, Charlies to Colombia and Winos go on caminos,

Listen to the voices in your head - Dae no go to Tesco to drink Alfresco - Go to Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment