Monday 12 December 2016

Deadbeat #6 - Siouxsie Sioux on the cover

And sold out within hours. We only printed 600 and along with 13,17 & 24 the only copies we have left are the proofs - well except the cover - which has disappeared but that's what it looked like.

At least by #24 we were printing 2000, but as we headed towards Christmas 1982, we didn't have much cash and so £40 to get 500 copies printed was the max. All this changed as part of the late great, John Peel review of indie pop culture and by the time Charlie Higson was on the cover of #10 we were printing 1000. I'm sure if he'd heard our ill informed bad review of "lullabies" he'd have cut us some slack, but I still dont. I remember reading that review once it was printed and vowed never to rubbish a band again. If you dont like it, dont review it. Ironically I gave the Happy Family a rave review on the same page. I like both records now so clearly just some bad drugs the day I listened to Lullabies.






No comments:

Post a Comment